Tuesday 11 October 2016

Research evaluation


What have you learned?

In my research I looked at four short horror movies that all have elements that I want incorporate within my own movie, this is called post-modernization in which I want to achieve in order to make my horror movie successful. An important element that I learned is key within my process is sound, this is because when a movie is played without sound it doesn’t have the same effect. For Diegetic sounds such as footsteps build up tension within the movie before something big occurs, however for non-diegetic I have noticed music plays significance in what happens within the movie; when something mysterious occurs slow paced music is being played whereas fast paced music is used during a chase scene. Regarding to camera work, establishing shots are key as they give the audience a sight of what the setting is like and the associations that they create with these settings, an example of camera movement could be the use of tracking, tracking is most effective when a character is edging towards a dangerous area. These features have allowed me to understand key camera work that will need to be incorporated within my movie. Mise en scene is one of the most important factors that I identified from the four movies I analysed, this is because the costumes of the characters suggest a lot about who they are and what part they play within the film. The setting is also key as in horror movies the location plays a significant role in understanding why bad things happen there. Lighting is probably the most important in my opinion, this is because in all the horror movies the bad things occur during low key lighting which I will ensure I incorporate within my film.

How will this help you?

Having an in-depth understanding of the four key elements of production of the movie has made it easier in deciding what kind of location is required and importance of little key factors such as the costumes, lighting and the type of sound used within each scene.

How have you learned this?

This was all gathered through my initial horror project which was a preliminary task although this created the foundation for my understanding, this was further developed through my research analysis four short horror movies.

1 comment:

  1. You do consider in some detail what you have learned form the research process and what you have understood from the analytical process.
    Try and consider what you have learned from your audience research and what you have learned form the planning process. Have you learnt anything with reference to IT and software?
    How have you found working in a group?

    ReplyDelete